Gaia is the mother of Newerth; the ethereal, intangible spirit of the world made flesh, and a manifestation of the planet itself. She has seen the history of all people and places; reveled in its victories; and suffered with its strife. She has lived through wars and the initial Fall of Man which brought about the realm of Newerth, regrowing that which was lost to blight and carelessness. With the opening of The Scar releasing an onslaught of demons whose only purpose is to gouge and injure their birthplace, Gaia must emerge to save them from themselves through pitiful destruction.
Gaia’s appearance changes based on her map location, the level of her abilities, and the items in her possession.
- In rivers and pools, Newerth’s naturally occurring underwater crystals compose Gaia’s water form.
- In lanes and bases, the tough terrain allows Gaia to construct her durable rock form.
- In the Legion jungle, Gaia adapts to the natural flora and assumes her grass form.
- In the Hellbourne jungle, the desolation gives life only to destruction, where Gaia manifests as fire.
- Striders will alter the path Gaia leaves behind her, depending on which form she is currently in.
- Astrolabe will create layers of a rotating, mechanical astrolabe around her weapon.
- Abyssal Skull will replace the top of her staff with a large Abyssal Skull, granting lifesteal to her teammates.
- Tablet of Command will be worn around her waist for escaping or pulling enemies into unfortunate situations.
- At level 1 of any ability, Gaia’s human form is not yet strong enough to absorb strength from Newerth.
- Level 2-3: The color of the Essence Link transforms into the primary color of whichever form Gaia currently exists in.
- Level 4: Gaia extracts the full essence of Newerth, as elements of rock, fire, water, or grass surround the Essence Link.
- Level 2-3: The color of the Illusory Veil transforms into the primary color of whichever form Gaia currently exists in.
- Level 4: The will of Newerth’s survival comes to fruition, as elements of rock, fire, water, or grass surround the Illusory Veil.
- Level 2-3: Newerth’s life force surrounds Gaia’s feet, the Synergy establishing her connection to everyone and everything.
- Level 4: The vitality that swirls around Gaia becomes stronger and more apparent as the Synergy gains traction.
- Level 2-3: The blessings of Newerth envelop Gaia with a whirlpool of energy as she protects her host.